A good part of the last week has been spent tinkering away with my doll prototypes. Tinkering is a nice word for it really. It's been more like CUT and HACK, RIP and CURSE. But I have finally made a doll that I can look at and think "yep, that's where I was trying to get to." Here's the final little sketch which I went from on Friday:
(I had to reconstruct it before I scanned it because it ended up being cut up as a pattern piece in the general frenzy).
And here she is:
All I wanted to make was something appealing, something easy and something that I could look at and see that I have left my mark on. Designing a new toy is not something I do very often. I don't think I have done anything really new in years so it was pretty hard work for me. It was a completely creative pursuit but not entirely enjoyable.
Now I can play with the pattern - switching fabrics and giving her different hair... the fun stuff. I think I am going to change her legs a little and give her some feet, but apart from that it's pretty much just trace and cut from now.
And just for fun, here's the line up of rejects:
My main sources of inspiration in this project:
Thank you to the kind people who left really helpful and encouraging things in my comments or in emails last week. It helped a huge amount.