Old Noey & New Noey

Noey 2005

2005 Noey and 2010 Noey Redux

New Noey in old (washed and pressed) dress

I have just finished working on a special project.

The top photo is Old Noey, first made and sold in February 2005. She was one of my very first batch of kitten softies. After Noey travelled across the sea, she was given to a little girl and was much loved and cuddled – for almost five fabulous years. But after all that cuddling she started to wear Β thin. Stuffing started to come out and her head had become distorted. There was a little breakfast cereal on her stockings and my hand stitching had started to unravel — so much so there was a fair chance that her head would come off altogether. So Old Noey came back here again for some R & R, special stuffing based chicken soup, and Australian sunshine. She’s had a good holiday and now has roses in her cheeks and a fresh spring in her step. She’s packed her new spare sundress and her journal and she’s heading back to Georgia, USA to little Tess who has been waiting patiently for her return.

41 Responses to “Old Noey & New Noey”

1. teachingwithsoul

How adorable! My auntie used to make soft dollies for me when I was a little girl. Still have two of them. They are treasured, as my Auntie passed away last year.

2. cintia

What a lovely story, I love that softies can you on holidays to get rejuvenated. Sort of like the rich ladies that go to mexico or thailand for a bit of r&r (translate to nip & tuck) and come back looking 10 years younger…hehe!Gee i need a little re juvenating myself!

3. April

Sweet story! My little girl saw the first photo and said “buy it mama!!”. She loved seeing the photos. Thanks for sharing!

4. annri

love. <3a doll-makers dream is such a well loved creation. fortunate that you had enough bits of those fabric to recreate her. so sweet!

5. anne

I love your softies! Especially the kittens! Did you ever make them from patterns, make them up as you go, or a little bit of both?How cute!

6. momo

Oh, how gorgeous to see an old friend so loved, Claire!Saffron and Jasper have just started getting really cuddly with their toys, most of whom are known as ‘BABY’. Even the Duplo man who I like to point out is a Man-baby.

7. abbyglassenberg

We have a little friend, Zachary, who had a very special elephant. I didn’t make the original Ellie, but when it all but fell apart after five good years of love, his nanny dropped Ellie off for a few hours and I made it a new elephant body. I was so nervous! But Ellie came through. I sewed his head, legs and tail onto a brand new, fully stuffed soft body and when Zachary’s nanny picked it up I tucked a note from Ellie tucked into the bag explaining how much better he felt now that he wasn’t threadbare. Such an important job of a stuffed animal maker!

8. Rachel

It’s so sweet that Noey was loved so much. I would love for my toys to be ones that are so loved they become raggy. Noey is such a cute doll.

9. Jess

What a gorgeous story! No better compliment to your beautiful work than the loving to bits of a child. I can see why too.

10. objectsofwhimsy

thats such a lovely story I can just see little Tess waiting by the door waiting for her Noey to come home. Noeys looking pretty good too after her plastic or should I say felt surgery hee hee!

11. Mara Zeitspieler

It is so cute, that Noey was loved soooo much! Just yesterday I saw a teddy bear in a kind of “Old Noey” condition. It was softies-day at my primary school… :)Greetings from Germany, Mara Zeitspieler

12. larissa

Would that I looked new like that after a spa treatment. That story is precious, I wish i could see little Tess’s face when Noey comes home.

13. Jenni

wow, loved within an inch of it’s life, what a fabulous thrill for you.New one is gorgeous, lucky Tess.

14. tulip

As Tess’s Mom I can say that we can’t thank Claire enough for making a toy that we have all loved so much! I’m a big Velveteen Rabbit fan and Noey is certainly a real kitty to us.I can say that Tess is so excited to see her friend again. Many many thanks. πŸ™‚

15. gnomeangel

What a beautiful story. So much love! I love the little fish pattern in the ears. Too cute. I wish there had been a special place I could have sent ‘Baa’ (my lambie)to be rejuvenated.

16. Watson

What cute stuffed kitties! Lucky little girl to get such an adorable softie.Also I love the new layout of Loobylu!

17. Dihtri

That’s so sweet! She got a total spa treatment and now is all refreshed, with new a new dress! Thanks for sharing the Redux with us πŸ™‚

18. di

What a lovely project and story! So delightful that she has been so loved, and so wonderful that she has been “restored’. Certainly something that doesn’t happen with manufactured toys.. I could imagine a children’s story book about this.

19. Handmade toys

Very nice. So many soft toys and patterns these days are too over the top, bright and garish. These are very nice, my kids would love them