Vintage Holidaying

caravan05.jpg
I have an old article from Life Etc. snipped out about dream-green holidays which includes Vintage Vacations in the UK. In a parallel universe where I get to go on dream holidays I would be choosing and booking a vintage American trailer, packing my sketch book and drawing paraphernalia, prepping the children for a holiday sans tv and heading Northwards. While you don’t seem to be able to tow the enormous trailers around the countryside you can stay in field on a dairy farm on the Isle of Wight, play vintage board games, enjoy mod cons and snuggle up under a crochet rug every night. I have found all the crochet rug photos because they are very appealing.

caravan01.jpg

caravan02.jpg

caravan03.jpg

caravan04.jpg

This last photos is lovely – it makes me want to find a vintage trailer and park it permanently in the yard. What a fab studio it would make!

caravan06.jpg

33 Responses to “Vintage Holidaying”

1. Georgia

Until I read your post I thought they must have been photos froma narrowboat (long boat?). I would LOVE to have a holiday on one of those cruising up and down the canals of England.

2. Karissa

I totally love it.Over 20 years ago when I was younger we lived in a tiny 1 room house so at the back door we had 2 small caravans. One was all pink inside and was my room and the other one was my older brothers, of course painted black. It was so wonderful, not safe now days though Im sure.These pictures are so great, although they made me feel a little hayfeverish.

3. wendy

I love, lve love the vintage caravan. When I was a kid, growing up in England, we had a static caravan in the lake district. It was my little haven my mini home 😉

4. Allison

Gorgeous!!! Pip is right, I love these, and I actually have clippings of the same caravans but from another mag in my inspiration book! I’m going to the UK in September, maybe I will holiday in one and report back!

5. Michelle

Between and crochet rugs, the lino, the red melamine cooking utensils and the formica table, I am totally in love with the idea of this old van!!

6. Kylie

I love these photos because for many years I have had a love affair with crochet rugs. I inherited some beautifully made ones from relatives including my husband’s grandmother and then I buy them as I find them in op shops. Found the most amazing one for a couple of dollars last year at the Keysborough Animal Shelter op shop. I use them to cover up all the children’s fingerprints by draping them on my furniture!- Kylie

7. pip

Oh yes.. you should talk to Allison at the-lark.blogspot about this! she’s very into vintage vacations too.. preferably by the seaside!

8. Steph

oh now I want a holiday. A ‘real’ one with driving for hours and rain and too many people in too small a space!

9. Jen

What a fabulous collection of pictures. I absolutely love old caravans like those pictured and dream of one in the backyard too!A while I was only a daily lurker in the past I had to come out and say welcome back, I’ve missed your writing and your crafty inspiration!

10. Sarah

I am so glad someone else likes these old caravan pictures. Last year, our little family went and stayed in a tiny cabin, and for the first half an hour I thought it was so ridiculously small and poky the holiday would suck. But then I made our beds up with my op-shop “holiday” linen and our pretty blankets, and put a nice rug over the tiny built in couch, and suddenly the whole place seemed so cute and homey. We had such a good time that we did it again a couple of months later, and plan to do it more this year!!

11. Camilla

I’ve had my eye on that place for ages- I think the fact I last visited the Isle of Wight when I was about 8 years old adds to the magic of the place in my head. Nice to see you back blogging.

12. Karen in Wichita

My mother-in-law’s been looking for a little teardrop trailer to make into a potting shed. I’d be tempted to get one myself for a sewing room, but in Kansas climate, it’d be useable for, oh, about two weeks each year.

13. corrie

ohhhh I want that trailer! I adore all the blankets especially the 3rd photo…that is my fabourite!!!!Corrie;)

14. Marina

The vintage van is just amazing…. The crochet blanket with the different sized patches is out-of-this-world beautiful. It looks to me like a Kaffe Fassett print realied in wool….

15. friendlyflamingo

We have an old ambulance, converted to a camper van. It’s fantastic and I love it. Until I read this post, however, I hadn’t realised that it was missing a crochet blanket. I will address this immediately.(Welcome back)

16. Shenae

You don’t want to vacation in an old American style trailer. They are old and attract so many mosquitoes that you would think you donated 2 pints of blood to the Red Cross!

17. admin

Really? Is there something specific about these trailers that attract mosquitoes?? Seems bizarre!

18. molly!

I love all of these pictures! I have been working on squares for a blanket of my own and I am really inspired by your pictures to make my blanket a lot more funky. Thanks!

19. Helen

Hi,wow – thanks so much for featuring our trailers!I heart crochet too.You would all be very welcome to come and stay – don’t forget your knitting 🙂

lots of love from the Isle of Wight